Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Opportunity of an Actual Dream

Before I get to the dream part let's back up a few years and keep you wondering for a bit.  It was the June of 2012 that we went to Granddad's for 5 days to spend some time and to also go to the Sailabration in Baltimore.  I realized how close and convenient everything was.  I missed it!  I mean I really missed it.  While living in the country, not near anything, may be fine for some people, for some it is not and I realized I was one of those people that could not live where we do forever. 

My employer was thinking about retiring sometime but didn't know when and I knew that I would not stay on as the company stood at that time.  I told him I was looking to go back to school as well as finding another job.  He said he would pay for my schooling as long as I stayed working for him.  How could I say no?  I started school the Fall of 2012 determined to get my degree as fast I possibly could before things changed.

That winter we scoped out some places such as Greencastle and Waynesboro.  We thought we had made up our minds of where we were going to pick up and move to, but alas that changed as well.  

One of Rob's friends from a previous job, who had moved to Massachusetts, was always telling Rob he should consider it.  Well we considered it. We even drove up last May and interviewed with the company and met with a realtor to show us around.  I had picked out my college where I was going to pursue my love of science.   We absolutely fell in love with the homes of MA as well as the atmosphere.  The offer he received just wasn't what he was after so he passed.  Six months later they once again inquired about him coming to work but there was hesitation on their part so Rob passed on the deal all together.  

This left me wondering, what do I do now.  I felt lost as to where I wanted to go career wise and knew that I would not find another place that allowed me to be a Mom present in the moment of my kids lives and that devastated me.  I knew that I had to get my associates and continue on with my bachelors after that and just see where life took us.  

December of 2013 I graduated from HCC with my associates.  In January of this year I enrolled in my first semester at UMUC.  I knew it was going to be grueling but I had set a goal and I was on a time crunch since Ken, my boss, had hired a company to do an analysis on the value of his company and to talk about marketing to potential buyers.  

It was late January/ early February that I had a dream and came in to work the next day and told Ken I had had this dream.  He sat down on my therapy couch in my office as I explained it to him.  In the dream I felt bad because his company had been on the market for 18 months and not one single person had made an offer. I said "fine, I'll buy the company so that you can go spend time with your Grand-kids and enjoy your retirement".  He looked at me and asked if I would really do just that.  A little stunned since this was just a dream and I was just telling him about it strictly in fun.  I was far from serious. He asked who I would go into business with as my partner and I said without a doubt the Vice President.  I said the only way I would do it is if I was the majority owner to get my MBE/WBE certification and if the VP hired an assistant. 

 I said I needed to think about it and talk to Rob. Rob and I had goals we had established that were about to be blown out of the water. I went home that night and spoke with him and never once did he hesitate to say yes.  He knew that meant that every single penny we had saved was now potentially going towards this new venture.

I went in the next morning and said "I'll do it".  Late May is when the wheels finally started moving with meetings with the bank and lawyers and all that fun stuff. Our goal was a September 2nd transfer date.

Well today is September 2nd and today I can officially say that I am now the President and 51% owner of Antietam Metals, LLC.  It's a big scary adventure but hey why not. I look at is as a challenge. Not many people have known about it.  I just didn't want to tell people until it happened.  There was so much that had to come together to get to this point that there were times I was not sure. How many people have the opportunity that I was given?  Not many.  

To that I am grateful that the ad for the original job I applied for back in 2004 was not entirely burned in the burn pile for me to get the fax number off of.  I was fortunate to work with and for a great man that I can only hope I will make him proud of his company that he has trusted with us to continue.

I have turned into Granddad after all.  
I made sure I had my camera with me to document this day.


Settlement with the bank.


Ken signing his papers.


And Drew and I shaking on a partnership.

Now that it is done, I can now relax!

Well maybe.





No comments:

Post a Comment