Monday, March 22, 2010

Gone to ruin

I love old houses.  Everything about an old house just appeals to me.  If only walls could talk.  For the past 13 years I've driven by this house.  Long before I ever moved to the sticks and it has always held a certain appeal for me.  It has long ago been abandoned and just gone to ruin.  Most windows are broken out of it with curtains hanging out.  The front porch is no longer accessible as it has pretty much fallen off, but still I love this house.













I finally got up the nerve to go look at it.  I asked my stepfather to go along with me.  I wasn't about to go on someone's property in the sticks without someone with me. 

There is a creek running under the house, which was pretty common back in the day.  The back porch was in better shape than the front, but you still had to choose your boards wisely and step at your own risk.  I ventured in the back door.  Can I say holy moly.  There was garbage just piled in there.  It looked like the trash had been ransacked.  Can I say shoes!  This house was filled with tons for shoes.  I really wanted to go upstairs but I was a little chicken. 

I loved the back screen door and the molding.



















We explored the rest of the buildings and barns on the property.  Nothing worth salvaging at all.  Maybe the tractor that was getting sucked into the mud, but that was about it.  The one barn that was built over the creek had collapsed which definately made me not want to go the second story of the house.  All in all it was a nice adventure.  If only I could pick it up and move it.

No comments:

Post a Comment